Did you know that many people die because of oral cancer every year? Oral cancer is a prevalent type of cancer that affects a person’s lips, throat, and mouth. That is why every time you visit your dentist and they conduct a check-up, they are also keeping an eye out for any sign of oral cancer, since this type of cancer is curable if detected at an early stage.
Indications of Bad Oral Health Maintenance Habits
Oral health should never be set aside. However, it is also a fact that many people have sloppy habits when it comes to maintaining their oral health. Here are some signs that may indicate if you have any bad oral health maintenance habits:
- Hit-or-Miss Flossing Sessions. Here’s the deal: Aside from brushing your teeth at least twice a day, you also need to floss at least once a day. That’s correct, once a day to keep that healthy oral system.
Did you know that when you floss you are actually removing the food source of cavity-causing bacteria that may be thriving between your teeth? This area is hard to reach, even for the slim-tip brushes. That’s why flossing is essential.
- Brushing Right after Every Meal. You are probably shocked to learn about this fact right now. Wouldn’t it be better for you to brush right after eating to avoid food deposits? The truth is, if you brush immediately after eating acidic food like wine, cheese, citrus fruits, and others, it can potentially wear away the glossy layer of your tooth. It is better to just rinse your mouth first with water and then brush after 30 minutes.
- Hard-Bristled Brush. Owning a hard-bristled brush is not a good idea. There was a time when hard-bristled brushes were quite popular as they were promoted as an effective plaque and food residue remover. However, gone are those days. Today, soft bristles are more advisable since they do not damage the gums like the hard ones do.
Your dental plan should help you if you encounter any dental emergencies today
Image Attribute to Wikimedia Vilhjun
- Three Months Rule. Not replacing your toothbrush is an indication of poor oral health habits. When you brush your teeth, there are bacteria that remain on the brush. There was a time when the only way to kill them was by heating the brush. However, if you are constantly pouring hot water on the brush, its efficiency will diminish. This is the reason why changing your brush quarterly is essential.
These are some of the indication of poor oral habit and, of course, what to do to avoid these habits.
A dental plan is a vital part of your journey to a healthier you. Here are few things that you need to know about your dental health plan:
- It will provide you the chance to get immediate dental support during injuries.
- You will not have to worry about fees that you will incur due to the insurance.
- You will be forced to visit the dentist every now and then to have check-up.
If you want to learn more about your oral health insurance, then it would be better to visit your dentist now. Don’t wait for the day when your dentist tells you that he will need to take off your crown to save your life.